Why are some drug target proteins not classed as having approved drugs on OT

Hi,

I wonder why some target proteins don’t have approved drugs on OT when they are classified as approved targets on DrugBank. Since OT references DrugBank, is there a possible reason why these are either denoted as having no known drugs or max phase 3 on OT? And does the lack of phase IV status or Approval status on OT invalidate the DrugBank report? Examples of these proteins include: MMUT, NFKB1, M6PR, NGFR, SCT, CRHR1, LPL, PLA2G1B, FCGR3B, AOC3, FCGR2A, PROC, ICAM1, FGF2, PRDX5, EGF, RRM2B.

Hi @Uzor!

Our platform relies on ChEMBL as a primary data source for drug information (docs). This can sometimes show variations in drug-target annotations compared to DrugBank and other sources, however this doesn’t invalidate the information presented by either resource. Both platforms are valuable, but they may have different methodologies and criteria for data curation and inclusion that explain the differences you have noted.

These variations can arise for several reasons. In your examples, most discrepancies are due to gaps in drug-target associations, like those between cladribine and RRM2B or CRHR1 and corticorelin. Additionally, there are instances where our identified drug target slightly differs from DrugBank’s annotation, such as the relationship between lifitegrast and ICAM1, where inhibition occurs through LFA-1 instead.

We’ll be sharing your points with our colleagues at ChEMBL, so they can investigate on a case by case basis so that we can continue bringing higher quality and more coverage in each of our releases.

I hope this was helpful! If there is any clinical annotation we should be prioritising, please feel free to let us know.

Best,
Irene

3 Likes

I am curious if ChEMBL and Drugbank will have any collaboration to avoid conflicting for future evolution. Hopefully the gap and conflicting are become smaller and smaller.

Thank you very much Irene for your kind reply.

I also want to understand the “Known Drugs” section in a typical target’s profile eg NOD2. As I understand it, the phase column indicates the max phase for that drug in trials. However, does the status column for that drug indicate the status of the trial of the corresponding phase for that specific indication i.e. in the disease column?

In other words, if status for a particular phase IV drug is ‘completed’ for neoplasm, then it means the drug is approved for neoplasm? And if it is ‘recruiting’ for osteosarcoma, then it means it is not approved for osetosarcoma?

I have tried to clarify this from the documentation but I cannot find information on this.

Thank you very much

Hi @Uzor,

Thanks for your question!

Each row in the Known Drugs table represents a separate study, which is why you can get multiple rows for the same drug/target pair. In a given row, the phase and status columns give information on that specific study.

So you are correct:

if status for a particular phase IV drug is ‘completed’ for neoplasm, then it means the drug is approved for neoplasm? And if it is ‘recruiting’ for osteosarcoma, then it means it is not approved for osetosarcoma?

Let us know if you have further questions!