FTP connection error

Describe the bug
Hello, I have problems accessing the datasets on ftp.ebi.ac.uk via FTP (port 21). I do not have problems accessing it via https in my browser.

Observed behaviour
I’m getting “ConnectionResetError: [Errno 54] Connection reset by peer” error

Expected behaviour
I expect to connect and download the datasets via FTP as it worked for me before.

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behaviour:
E.g. in python3:

from ftplib import FTP

with FTP('ftp.ebi.ac.uk') as ftp:
    ftp.login()

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.11/3.11.2_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/ftplib.py", line 121, in __init__
    self.connect(host)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.11/3.11.2_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/ftplib.py", line 162, in connect
    self.welcome = self.getresp()
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.11/3.11.2_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/ftplib.py", line 244, in getresp
    resp = self.getmultiline()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.11/3.11.2_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/ftplib.py", line 230, in getmultiline
    line = self.getline()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.11/3.11.2_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/ftplib.py", line 212, in getline
    line = self.file.readline(self.maxline + 1)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python@3.11/3.11.2_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/socket.py", line 706, in readinto
    return self._sock.recv_into(b)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ConnectionResetError: [Errno 54] Connection reset by peer

Hi @antivirak, and welcome to the Open Targets Community! :tada:

Thank you for flagging this. This is an issue with the EBI FTP service, rather than the Open Targets datasets in particular. The EBI FTP service is experiencing some intermittent issues, and their technical services team is aware.

Hello,
thanks for the information!